Saturday, August 18, 2012

The Proposal


This photo was taken the morning of December 28, 2011 in Orvieto, Italy ... I had no idea that in a few hours I would be engaged to married. (it's still hard to believe!) Jake was asked to play in the Orvieto Jazz Festival over the New Year and I was lucky enough to tag along. I planned to explore the city, shop, eat and take too many photos while Jake was in rehearsals and sound checks. Jake had other, bigger, plans in store for me.

I often try and retell the story in print and can never quite word it as well as I did that day over seven months ago. Here is the email I sent out to our friends and family just hours after the big moment...

"Good morning friends and family!!

After a great first night in Italy (lots of prosecco), followed by 12 solid hours of jet lagged sleep Jake and I work up refreshed, rested and ready for adventure. Italy provided the perfect weather. The air was crisp and as we followed the cobblestoned roads through town. As we wandered we were warmed by the sun as it peaked out from behind the ancient houses that line the streets. 


We followed a winding road down to the most epic castle that is surrounded by wrought iron fences and the most grand rock wall you've ever seen. The view is one I've never experienced before; the sun was burning through the clouds as it rose above an incredible mountain range below us in the valley.


There in the sun, surrounded by mountains and a castle, under a cloudless blue sky in Italy, Jake knelt down to one knee and asked me to spend the rest of my life with him.


I said yes! (of course!!!)


So... we're engaged!!!!!! We spent the rest of the morning meandering throughout Orvieto. Stopping only so I could jump up and down and shriek with delight.


Jake was tricky and caught the proposal on film, setting the self timer and kneeling at exactly the right moment. 


The ring is spectacular and brilliantly sparkly. But most importantly it holds the history of Jake's family. It was passed down from hi great grandmother through the generations, and knowing that I am wearing a ring that has seen love for over a century brings tears to my eyes. 


Can't wait to celebrate with you all in the new year!!!"



Below are the photos Jake captured... I plan on flashing these babies to future generations and bragging about what a spiffy SLR camera we possessed that could take self-timer photos. 



No comments:

Post a Comment