Monday, August 27, 2012

Engagement Party: The Toast




Even though a picture tells a 1000 words, here is the toast that Jake rocked on the night of our engagement party...  in case you missed it!

There are two reasons why I decided to write down this toast, instead of improvising as I go along.

Number 1) When nerves set in I revert to valley girl speak, using like and um between every sentence. And 2) because Kate told me to.

Five years ago, I arrived at the Lee Tolley’s apartment to teach their son David a drum lesson.  After the lesson Nancy fed me a large roasted chicken. Mistake number 1. A few months later, Nancy asked me if my girlfriend would come babysit.  Mistake number 2.

You should all know that Nancy has been offering to host this engagement party for about 3 years. We have only been engaged for 2 months.  We know all of you in this room love us just as much, if not more than the Lee-Tolleys.  Yet, none of YOU offered to host our engagement party.

But in all honesty, we feel like a part of your family.  We couldn’t ask for more kind, caring, generous and thoughtful people in our lives.  So Toast number 1 goes to the Lee-Tolley Family. 

Nothing is more important to us than our families.  We wouldn’t be the people we are today without you.  Our parents show us what marriage is all about and we hope to be as happy as you both for the rest of our lives.   I could tell you all hundreds of stories about our families in past years we have been together. But I would rather skip to the moral of the story.  I have felt like a part of the Christopher Family for years, and Kate has felt like a Goldbas.  Now let’s make it official. Toast number 2 goes to our families!

Kate!  My girl. I am so glad I flirted with you years ago in the Manhattan School of Music Cafeteria.  I would like to finish with a sincere poem I composed today:

            Roses are Red
            Violets are Blue
            Kate is a catholic
            And I am a Jew.
            Kate thanks for accepting my proposal,
            Mazel Tov, I love you.

   
   

No comments:

Post a Comment