Monday, January 6, 2014

Happy New Year!

photo by the talented and lovely, Lauren Desberg

HELLO friends! After a six month hiatus from blogging and a new year on the calendar I am practically bursting with thoughts and words and you know, stuff to say. Ha. But seriously, I've got a bunch of great posts lined up for you all. 

First off - Happy New Year! 2014 is going to be a good one, I can feel it. Every year come January 1st I make these grand resolutions to reinvent myself and my life. Some stick, but most are forgotten before I flip the page to February. This year, I'm keeping it simple.

Be Kind. 
Work Hard.
Be Healthy.

To me, these are the keys to a successful personal and professional life. I feel that kindness is highly underrated in our society and a virtue that we so often forget when we are stressed or tired. Not this year. I am going to make a conscious effort to display kindness to everyone; my husband, my family, my friends, my colleagues and strangers. I've found in just a few days that intentional displays of kindness lead to joy and emotional fulfillment in my life. It's the definition of a win-win scenario. 

Working hard is my M.O., and it always has been. But sometimes my focus narrows and I work extremely diligently on just one area of my life while other aspects are neglected. This year I plan to work hard on my relationships, my career, my teaching, and my hobbies. For example, I've wanted to learn Italian well enough to have a conversation with people over the age of 2 years old for the past six+ years (gulp). This year I'm going to work hard at conquering this goal. I will work hard at being the best wife, daughter, sister and friend that I can possibly be. 

This year being healthy isn't just about a number on the scale. It also isn't about fad diets, deprivation or marathon workouts. It is, however, about cooking with fresh, organic foods, about stretching and long walks through the park, about laughing and it is most definitely about getting more sleep. 

Here's to being the best version of ourselves all year long! Cheers to 2014!

No comments:

Post a Comment